
Now that we're settled, the fun stuff is beginning.
We discovered a great bar about 100 feet from our house. So close that if someone was really having a good time the people at CGE could probably hear it. It's called the Cardboard Box and it's a hostel with a bar attached. We've met people who have backpacked all over different parts of Africa- even places hardly anyone can go like DR Congo. People have very interesting stories here and most of the locals who go there regularly work for non profits and development agencies. It's a very good mix of people. Plus beer is $1 US and a mix drink is about $3 US. AND there's a very cute doggy there so I can get my fix of cute animal.
Also, there are 3 birthdays in my week: one on the 2nd and another on the 3rd so we all went to a restaurant that was kinda touristy but really nice and fun. People ordered zebra, crocodile, ostrich, etc. I couldn't stop thinking about how strange that would be so I chose vegetarian for the night. We then went back to the house and played some games. I never thought I'd like games so much but there's only so much you can do in Namibia late at night- hardly anything is open. Everyone in the group was so great- Sam bought my meal for a birthday present and everyone was buying the birthday people drinks. I thought my birthday would be a real let down here because they're all new people. While I missed those at home, my birthday turned out to be really great. Now tomorrow's the real thing and we're traveling to the outskirts and doing TEAMBUILDING! Woo! Best 21st birthday ever. We're expected to reveal all that has made us who we are--it's going to be intense because most people in the group have really been through some significant stuff.
Speaking of the group I should mention my roommates. I'm in the smallest room which I appreciate with Ky, Carolyn (from CO!), and Nichole. Ky and I are rather loud and the other two are pretty quiet so I'm not sure how they like us but I like them! There are only two bathrooms in the whole house for 20 people so it gets a little crowded. Plus one of the bathrooms is inside the boys' room. I've been using that one because nobody else is brave enough to walk into it....
There is honestly nobody that I don't like in the group. It's very diverse in terms of viewpoints and backgrounds but everyone is mature enough to be able to talk about everything respectfully. It's a very interesting dynamic though because everyone has been forced to get to know one another so quickly. It doesn't seem like it should work so well but some of my friends and I are incredibly close despite only knowing one another for a couple weeks. Everyone is very caring and I'm very happy that the boys are overly protective of all of us girls. I don't think I could try to go anywhere and not have one of them insist to go as well.
Also, we love outdoor lunches and frisbee/nap in the sun time at Parliament Gardens which is the most beautiful park I've ever seen hands down. I've also met my match with TV obsession. My best friend Britta (who I swear I've known all my life) is also a TV addict so I feel less guilty about my cravings for it. Yesterday we had an Arrested Development marathon which everyone knows is right up my alley. She's also never seen Always Sunny so we're catching up on that. (Thanks Jimmy!). And, much to my annoyance, I'm obsessed with Twilight. I only have a few pages to go and if I can't get my hands on the next one soon I'm not sure what I'll do.
We discovered a great bar about 100 feet from our house. So close that if someone was really having a good time the people at CGE could probably hear it. It's called the Cardboard Box and it's a hostel with a bar attached. We've met people who have backpacked all over different parts of Africa- even places hardly anyone can go like DR Congo. People have very interesting stories here and most of the locals who go there regularly work for non profits and development agencies. It's a very good mix of people. Plus beer is $1 US and a mix drink is about $3 US. AND there's a very cute doggy there so I can get my fix of cute animal.
Also, there are 3 birthdays in my week: one on the 2nd and another on the 3rd so we all went to a restaurant that was kinda touristy but really nice and fun. People ordered zebra, crocodile, ostrich, etc. I couldn't stop thinking about how strange that would be so I chose vegetarian for the night. We then went back to the house and played some games. I never thought I'd like games so much but there's only so much you can do in Namibia late at night- hardly anything is open. Everyone in the group was so great- Sam bought my meal for a birthday present and everyone was buying the birthday people drinks. I thought my birthday would be a real let down here because they're all new people. While I missed those at home, my birthday turned out to be really great. Now tomorrow's the real thing and we're traveling to the outskirts and doing TEAMBUILDING! Woo! Best 21st birthday ever. We're expected to reveal all that has made us who we are--it's going to be intense because most people in the group have really been through some significant stuff.
Speaking of the group I should mention my roommates. I'm in the smallest room which I appreciate with Ky, Carolyn (from CO!), and Nichole. Ky and I are rather loud and the other two are pretty quiet so I'm not sure how they like us but I like them! There are only two bathrooms in the whole house for 20 people so it gets a little crowded. Plus one of the bathrooms is inside the boys' room. I've been using that one because nobody else is brave enough to walk into it....
There is honestly nobody that I don't like in the group. It's very diverse in terms of viewpoints and backgrounds but everyone is mature enough to be able to talk about everything respectfully. It's a very interesting dynamic though because everyone has been forced to get to know one another so quickly. It doesn't seem like it should work so well but some of my friends and I are incredibly close despite only knowing one another for a couple weeks. Everyone is very caring and I'm very happy that the boys are overly protective of all of us girls. I don't think I could try to go anywhere and not have one of them insist to go as well.
Also, we love outdoor lunches and frisbee/nap in the sun time at Parliament Gardens which is the most beautiful park I've ever seen hands down. I've also met my match with TV obsession. My best friend Britta (who I swear I've known all my life) is also a TV addict so I feel less guilty about my cravings for it. Yesterday we had an Arrested Development marathon which everyone knows is right up my alley. She's also never seen Always Sunny so we're catching up on that. (Thanks Jimmy!). And, much to my annoyance, I'm obsessed with Twilight. I only have a few pages to go and if I can't get my hands on the next one soon I'm not sure what I'll do.

No comments:
Post a Comment